In 2001 new legislation was created to provide unifying direction for all documents recorded in the State of Missouri. In order to file a document the content must pertain to property or an entity located within the county of Cape Girardeau. Documents signed after 2002 must meet statutory formatting requirements. Documents can be e-recorded, mailed to or dropped off at the Recorder of Deeds office in Jackson. Payment must accompany the recording. Once received documents are inspected, accepted/rejected, and then processed for recording. Once the document has been processed and verified the original will be returned to the designated individual; this usually occurs by the next day. Documents that do not meet the standards following will be rejected and accompanied by an explanation.
Unfortunately, the Recorder’s office is not allowed to create documents or provide legal advice. We recommend you consult an attorney or a title company for assistance.
For documents to be recorded they must meet the following formatting requirements:
- Standard document size of paper is 8 ½” x 11”
- Paper must be white, 20#, without watermarks or logos
- No continuous forms or permanent binding
- Documents may be stapled; however, paper clipped is preferred for presenting the document
- Information should be printed in black or dark ink on one side only
- A minimum of 8-point type font, this is 12-point on a computer
- Signatures must be in black or dark ink
- The document must be typed
- A 3 inch vertical margin on the first page is reserved for the recorder to use for recording certification.
- All margins on the first and subsequent pages must be a minimum of 3/4”
- Information that is nonessential may fall outside the margins; however, the recorder will not be liable for this information
The first page of a recorded document is used for indexing the recording. If the first page does not meet the formatting standards then a cover page can be added to meet the formatting standards with the required information. The addition of a cover page will add to the page count of the document. Every document (except plats and surveys) must have the following information on the first page, below the 3” margin:
- Title of the document
- Date of the document
- All grantors’ names and marital status
- All grantees’ names
- Any statutory addresses
- Legal Description
- Reference book and pages if required
Grantors and grantees must be designated in order to be indexed. A Grantee’s mailing address must be stated. The address of the property shall not be accepted as a legal description. For documents that do not meet the formatting standards an additional charge of $25.00 will be added to the recording fee.
Example cover page
First page must have all required information, if sufficient space is not available on the first page then a page reference within the document stating where the information is set out shall be stated on the first page.
For any other questions please contact the Recorder of Deeds office M-F 8:00am-4:30pm: