Media Release – Assessor’s Office Tax Notices 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 2, 2023
Cape Girardeau County Assessor
1 Barton Square, Suite 201
Jackson, MO 63755
2023 LOCAL PROPERTY ASSESSMENTS MADE
CAPE GIRARDEAU COUNTY, MISSOURI – Per Missouri State Statute (137.115), the Cape Girardeau County Assessor is required to establish the fair market value of all locally taxable property as of January 1, and reassess real property values each odd-numbered year. The Assessor is responsible for the classification and valuation of all real and personal property; however, the Assessor does not set tax rates, issue property tax bills, or collect property taxes. The Assessor only establishes a baseline value that is submitted to all taxing jurisdictions for the purposes of estimating budgets and setting tax levies for the current year.
Since 2023 is a reassessment year, the majority of real property owners in Cape Girardeau County will begin receiving notices of reassessment the first week of June. Property valuations are based upon site appraisals of actual improvements or changes to the property, or by using mass-appraisal techniques based upon local market sales data. Local market data has indicated that the median sale price of real property in Cape Girardeau County increased 8% from 2020 to 2021, and another 9% from 2021 to 2022, bringing the total average sale price increase to 17% between 2020 and 2022.
The Assessor has taken note of the recently declining number of transactions and the disparity in sales of some property types and has applied an 8.5% assessment increase to most properties for January 1, 2023. Properties that have received a reappraisal due to new construction, improvement, demolition, or some other qualifying criteria will receive an appraisal that reflects actual changes, rather than receiving the mass adjustment. Values for agricultural land in production will remain unchanged, as those values are set by the Missouri State Legislature. Properties whose assessments remain unchanged from last year, or have decreased, will not receive a notice.
Notices will clearly state both the appraised value and the assessed value of the property in 2023 and prior year and will give detailed instructions on how to appeal if the owner believes the new value exceeds the value of the property.
Appeals must be made on the actual value of the property, and not on the amount of increase or potential change in taxes. Evidence of property value will be required for appeal. Informal appeals to the Assessor must be made by June 30 by calling 573-243-2468, or by emailing email@example.com. Formal appeals for a Board of Equalization hearing must be submitted in writing to the Cape Girardeau County Clerk prior to July 10.
More information about the formal appeal process can be found at https://www.capecounty.us/cape-girardeau-county-clerk/board-of-equalization/