About Emergency Management
Emergency management seeks to promote safer, less vulnerable communities with the capacity to cope with hazards and disasters. The Office of Emergency Management protects Cape Girardeau County communities and individuals by coordinating and integrating all activities necessary to build, sustain, and improve the capability to mitigate against, prepare for, respond to, and recover from threatened or actual natural disasters, acts of terrorism, or other man-made disasters.Individuals and families should be prepared at home and work by staying informed and planning ahead.
Text to 911 services are now live!
View the associated media release.
Get Alerts, Stay Informed
- Register for urgent alerts – The Rave Alert System is a notification program that will alert you in the event of an emergency situation or general information that might impact Cape Girardeau County residents. This program will allow the Office of Emergency Management to send text and email alerts to residents in a timely manner to deliver critical life safety information.
- Register for County news and information – Cape Girardeau County Commission and Clerk information
- Listen for sirens – Each first Wednesday of the month, the County tests its outdoor tornado warning sirens.
View map of tornado sirens (link coming soon)
- Visit National Weather Service for more weather alerts and information
Make a Plan
- Visit Ready.gov – Tailor your plans and supplies to your specific daily living needs and responsibilities. Discuss your needs and responsibilities and how people in your family or network can assist each other with communication, care of children, business, pets, or specific needs like the operation of durable medical equipment.
- Visit the National Safety Council – Nationwide in 2017, 59,985 weather-related events resulted in 592 deaths and 4,270 injuries
Mark Winkler, Director
#1 Barton Square
Jackson, MO 63755
Phone: (573) 204-0911
Fax: (573) 204-2924
Emergency Operations Center Contacts
City of Cape Girardeau
City of Jackson
Southeast Missouri State University
All Cape Girardeau County communities