Board Of Equalization (BOE) Appeals Process
In order to appeal your assessment you should first visit the Assessor's website at www.capecounty.us/Assessor.aspx to learn more. If you wish to proceed, you will need contact the Assessor's Office before submitting any forms to the Clerk's Office to confirm if your question may be resolved. We have included a general timeline of the process below. Please do not hesitate to contact either office to assist you with any further questions.
When and how can I appeal my market value?
1. Informal (Assessor’s Staff) Hearings
2. Board of Equalization
3. State Tax Commission
1. Informal hearings are strongly encouraged if you feel your value is incorrect.
Contact the Assessor’s office on or before July 10, 2017 for an appointment by calling (573)243-3123. A change-of-value will be made only if the owner can demonstrate that the appraised value does not accurately reflect the property’s true value in money as of January 01, 2017.
SUGGESTED FORMS OF SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION (One of the following)
- Copy of recent sales contract (within the past year)
- Copy of recent appraisal from accredited firm (within the last three years)
- Copies of repair estimates with photos
- Income and expense information for commercial properties, if you would like that information considered.
2. Board of Equalization hearings begin in July for the taxpayer to further their appeal to the Board of Equalization.
Forms are available through the County Clerk’s Office, 1 Barton Square, Suite 301, Jackson, MO 63755,
phone: (573)243-1052 and also located below. Forms must be returned to the County Clerk’s Office before the 3rd Monday in June.
3. Appeals to the State Tax Commission must be filed by September 30th or within 30 days of the Board of Equalization’s decision, whichever is later, and only following the BOE hearing. A professional appraisal is expected. Contact the STC at (573) 751-2414.
For further information, contact the Assessor’s Office at (573)243-3123.
Board of Equalization hearings will start in July. All requests for BOE appeals must be made through the Clerk's Office. Original signed forms must be returned before the 3rd Monday in June. This step is mandatory for further appeals.
The Forms are as follows:
Individual Real Property Appeal Form
Informational Handout/Instruction Guidelines
Personal Property Appeal Fillable Form
Instructions for Personal Property Appeal
Manufacturers and Business Personal Property Appeal Fillable Form
Instructions for Manufacturers and Business Personal Property Appeal
Agent Authorization Form (must be original signatures by ALL parties and in office by the 3rd Monday in June)